Parents are being warned of a potentially dangerous a toy called Worry Dolls, after three of the four products failed basic safety tests.
Leicestershire Trading Standards tested four of the dolls, which were purchased online, and found that some of the dolls could be a choking hazard for younger children and some had concealed sharp points.
Children tell the small doll their worries and put it under their pillow before they go to sleep after which a parent will carefully remove it. The child wakes in the morning to find the doll has gone, taking their worries with it.
David Bull, head of the county council’s Trading Standards Service said: “Three of the four dolls we tested, failed to comply with toy safety regulations.
“The dolls posed a choking hazard for young children and some were made with thread wrapped around sharp wires. There was also inadequate labelling, to warn consumers about the risks the toy posed to very young children and to allow the manufacturers to be traced. All these products have been removed from sale by the suppliers.
“I am asking parents or guardians to check their children’s worry dolls and if you are in any doubt - throw it away. We cannot be sure that all items in the supply chain have either been removed or recalled, as there are many other suppliers.”
Joe Orson, county council cabinet lead member for Trading Standards said: “Parents and carers should look for a CE mark on labelling, never give them to children under three, and feel for any sharp points. Remember that children aren’t good at recognising hazards, especially when they are sleepy.”
People can report products they think might be unsafe to the Trading Standards Service Citizens Advice Helpline on 03454 04 05 06; trading standards work with this Helpline to identify unsafe products.