By 2016 the Council needs to save £1.5 million, that amount is forecast to rise to £2.84 million by 2018.
The Conservative administration at the Council have started making plans to realise savings.
They are planning on:
- Raising your council tax.
- Charging more for some services, like car parking, bulky waste collections for concessions or casual swimming for concessions.
- Charging for some services that are currently free, for example a £30.00 charge for your 'green waste' wheelie bin.
- Asking others to take on council services, for example moving more 'general fund' spending to Coalville special expenses which may mean getting rid of Christmas lights, or losing the annual 'Coalville Twenty13' style event.
- Stopping some services altogether, for example by getting rid of the NWLDC Vision magazine.
The cuts that are being made by Tory-led Government to local councils will have a devastating effect.
My political opponent, Nick Rushton, summarised the situation perfectly when he recently spoke to local MP's:
'We left them in no doubt that popular services, from bus services to libraries, will not escape scot free, as we are losing more than a third of our budget....the question is whether the Government, which is responsible for our funding, will listen. I am not hopeful.'
The Conservative administration at North West Leicestershire District Council want to know what you think about their proposals.
You can read a detailed report here .
You can let your thoughts be known by clicking here .