Of course the truth is somewhat contrary to the Tory line a report out this week paints a very different picture of performance at NWLDC.
The quarterly performance management report for the first three months of financial year 2012/13, due to be considered by Cabinet on 21 August, shows that more 'Council Delivery Plan' indicators are failing to meet their target than at any time since this format of the report was introduced.
The report shows that around a third (11 out of 34) of key targets are being missed this compares to 5 at the same time last year.
Targets that have been missed include:
- Falling short of predicted membership income at Hermitage and Hood Park Leisure Centres.
- Missing recycling and composting targets.
- Checking planning applications.
- Failing to process Housing and Council Tax Benefit applications quickly enough.
- Missing out on projected visitor numbers at Moira Furnace Museum.
- Customers using the complaint process being increasingly disatisfied.
North West Leicestershire has some amazing staff who work tremendously hard to make the district a better place to live but the simple fact is they are swimming against the tide.
For all their talk of localism the Tory-lead coalition are hell-bent on decimating local government and the increase in failing to meet key targets is a clear example of the results.
If you want to read the report yourself you can do so by clicking here and clicking on agenda item 8 (although it does seem that link to the report is currently not working).